African Library Book Drive
Thank you for your interest in this cause!
Our goal is to send 1,000 books directly to Africa through our partner The African Library Book Project!
We will reach our goal through direct donations on our GoFundMe page and by accepting lightly used or new books to send.
If you are interested in sending books to our P.O Box, please go through the guidelines first and find our address below.
Thank you SO much in advance!
LET’S START A LIBRARY FOR KIDS TOGETHER!
Here is a list of DO’s and DONT’s for our Books":
Books with small, dense print.
Books with references of appliances and electronic gadgets.
Adult paperback novels
Books about United States History/Government
Books about North American Religious Holidays(Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc)
Books that promote any religion
Books for pre-school-school age children
Books about African American culture
Books that are bright, eye-catching and easy to read
Education Books for pre-school-school age children
Educational magazines such as National Geographic (no more than 5 years old)
PLEASE SEND BOOKS TO:
Attn: A Cup A Joey
4400 Keller Ave #361
Oakland , CA 94605
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOOKS:
Baby board books
◦ Children’s picture books
◦ Children’s fiction and non-fiction
◦ Early readers
◦ BIG books
◦ Teacher's resource books for school libraries
◦ Children’s dictionaries/picture dictionaries
◦ Encyclopedias less than 15 years old
◦ Children’s encyclopedias/picture encyclopedias
◦ Children’s thesauruses
◦ Paperback textbooks in math, English, geography, health, and science at appropriate level (kindergarten to 6th grade). Send no more than two copies of any texbook; these will be used for teacher resources.
◦ Books with universal themes (friendships, animals, love)
◦ Children's books teaching life skills about health, hygiene, adolescence and careers
◦ Accurate up-to-date atlases
◦ Books about Africa or African-Americans
◦ Educational children's science and literary magazines in good condition
◦ Brain teasers, flash cards, educational games and puzzles
SPECIFIC TITLE RECOMMENDATIONS
4th grade titles:
Horrible Harry by Susan Kline
Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park
Magic Treehouse series (4th grade and below) by Mary Pope Osborne
Because of Winn-Dixie and Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
6th grade titles:
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
7th/8th grade titles:
Lord of the Rings series/The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
Books by Jerry Spinelli
The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner
Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
And remember, if you find it easier to donate online, please feel free to do so here: We promise no donation is too small!